Choosing Between Pads, Tampons and Liners
Every period is different. Some periods last longer than others. Some are heavier than others. And no matter when your period arrives, you want to be able to keep on living uninterrupted. That’s why choosing the right product to protect you during your period is so important. You may wonder which product will work best. Some women prefer pads, others prefer tampons and some find that a combination of the two works best. Here’s a little information about each type of product, to help you decide.
Q. What are pads, and will they work for me?
A. Pads are placed inside your underwear to catch the menstrual fluid that leaves the body during your period. They come in all kinds of absorbencies, shapes and sizes. Some have wings and some don’t. They’re great for a number of reasons, like when:
And sometimes women prefer pads because they find them to be more comfortable to wear and simple to use.
- you’ve just started your period and you’re not quite ready to try tampons
- it’s going to be awhile until you can change your product, like while you’re sleeping or traveling
- you usually have a very heavy flow
Q. What are tampons, and will they work for me?
A. Tampons are placed inside the vaginal canal, usually with an applicator, to catch the menstrual fluid before it leaves the body. They come in different absorbencies, and they’re best for when:
And sometimes women prefer tampons because they find them to be more comfortable to wear and easy to carry.
- you’ve had periods for awhile and you’re ready to try tampons
- you have plenty of opportunities throughout the day to change your protection (once every four to six hours)
- you’re very active; tampons protect well and are comfortable to use while playing sports or swimming
- you usually have a moderate flow
Q. What are pantiliners, and will they work for me?
A. Pantiliners can be used every day to keep you fresh and clean. They protect your underwear and absorb odors. They can also be helpful in case you start your period a little early. You’ll notice a stain on the liner and not on your underwear.
The key to finding the product that protects you best is to try different products and different product combinations until you find what fits you and your lifestyle comfortably. To start, use Find My Kotex® Fit.
If you found this helpful, these articles and forums might help, too:
Article: Phases of Your Cycle
Article: General Period Q + A